Thérèse Buckingham for Vitality in Focus
Yields 10-12 Fritters
Carrot-Zucchini Gluten-Free Vegetable Fritters
- THE FRITTERS:
- (use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 cups grated carrots and zucchini (about two large carrots and one large zucchini)
- 2 eggs; whisked (organic and/or free-range if possible)
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 3 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- 3 grinds on a pepper mill
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- THE KALE SALAD:
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 1 cup of grated carrots (you can use what is left from the carrots grated for the fritters)
- 2 TBS pepitas
- 2TBS goji berries (could replace with raisins, dried cherries, or dried blueberries)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1-2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine. Let the salad sit while you make the fritters. This will give the kale time to soften.
- To make the fritters combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil in a hot skillet.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the fritter batter onto skillet and flatten out like little pancakes. Fit as many as you can onto the cooking surface.
- Let the fritters fry for about 4 minutes until brown underneath.
- Turn them and let them brown on the other side.
- Serve the fritters with the kale salad and enjoy!
Zucchini has a high water content and it is best to drain some out before adding it to the other ingredients. After grating the zucchini put it into a colander with small holes or a mesh sieve, sprinkle a little salt on it and let it sit while you prepare the carrots and onion. Then just push the zucchini down and let the excess water drain out. Alternatively you can squeeze it with your hands.
You can make this a vegan meal by substituting the eggs for more chia seeds, 1 TBS/egg) that have been soaked in water for about 30 minutes or so. You can used ground chia or flax seeds as an egg substitute as well.
Vitality in Focus